Confession time – I am obsessed with Dogeared. They have the MOST adorable collection of dainty, pretty, quirky jewelry – totally my style. But their prices are kind of outrageous. Gold-dipped is great, but I can’t spend $50 every time I fall in love with a necklace. As I’ve been planning my wedding, I’ve been stalking their website for inspiration – bridesmaids gifts, mother of the bride gifts, etc., when I came across these lovely little wish bracelets. They were the perfect alternative to the intricate friendship bracelets I was planning on making for all my friends that I was unable to include in my bridal party. But of course they are $26 each! As a bride on a budget, I couldn’t possibly spend that much per item when I would have to buy at least 10-15 bracelets!
Luckily, Pinterest came to the rescue with a ton of wish bracelet tutorials. Some were very complicated, and not having grown up making bracelets, I was hesitant to take on those as a DIY. Also, the purpose of wish bracelets is for them to fall off (sounds crazy but then your wish will come true!). I found a few DIY tutorials that ended up being super simple. In fact, as long as you can tie a knot, you can make a bracelet.
- Jewelry cording – preferably a fibrous material that could eventually fall apart, like hemp or bamboo
- A variety of charms
- Cardstock (5X7) – optional
- Washi tape – optional
- Thread your charm onto your cord.
- Tie a small knot onto the charm. You’re done! Seriously… that’s it!!
- Print out a design onto your cardstock. See the templates below!
- Make two cuts on either side of the cardstock, about an inch on each side.
- Slip the left thread of the bracelet through the left slit on the cardstock. Repeat on right side.
- Tape ends of thread with cute washi tape!
Here’s what it should all look like:
Now for the freebies! You don’t have to DIY the cardstock (unless you want to!). I’ve made you a few different templates. Use one or try them all!
About the author: Carolyn Noe is President of Super Heroines, Etc. An avid reader and Netflix-er, she’s currently planning her Parks & Rec themed wedding to the love of her life. She and her dog Darcy read Pride & Prejudice fanfiction every night before bed. Follow her on Twitter (@cnoeone) or Instagram (@longdistancedining).
Author: Carolyn Noe
Carolyn is the Founder & Executive Director of Super Heroines, Etc. She is a recent transplant to Cincinnati and lives with her husband and her dog. She regularly nerds out about Parks & Rec, Firefly, and Pride & Prejudice.